Being charged with a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) can be a stressful experience for any car owner. Therefore, when caught up in such a situation, it is critical that you face the situation when you’re prepared and well-informed. Thankfully, hiring a highly skilled and experienced DUI lawyer helps to take the stress away. A DUI charge has an immediate impact on your everyday life; it could affect your employment, it could easily take away your driving privileges, and it might mean spending some time in jail. For this reason, you should look at your options immediately.
Below are helpful tips for car owners when hiring DUI lawyers in Atlanta.
1. Prepare a List of Reputable Potential DUI Attorneys
You can actually use many resources in your search for the right DUI attorney. Get personal recommendations and research, the National Associations & State Bar Associations. With this information, you can prepare a list of some good attorneys. Like all the other major decisions you make in your life, due diligence is critical.
2. Is the attorney qualified enough to take up your case?
After completing your preliminary research, consider the qualification level of each potential attorney. When seeking an Atlanta DUI lawyer online, the legal experts in Atlanta say that potential clients should consider the educational background, areas of expertise, and find out whether they’re in good standing with the state bar.
- Hire only a licensed lawyer:
Check whether the lawyer you intend to hire is actually licensed to practice and represent clients in Atlanta.
- Check ethical record: Investigate whether the potential attorneys have previously had disciplinary cases against them brought up by the state.
- Steer clear of the disbarred attorneys: Note that a disbarred attorney cannot be allowed to represent clients in a court of law.
- Engage the services of an attorney with extensive training and experience in DUI cases:
If you wish to get good representation, make sure the attorney has an extensive level of experience and knowledge in handling DUI cases. Even though criminal defense lawyers often deal with criminal matters, it is more beneficial to engage an attorney with a focus on handling DUI cases; such professionals have a better understanding of the Atlanta DUI laws.
3. The In-Person Consultation
To determine the attorney you’re most comfortable working with, consider having consultations.
For a good consultation meeting, consider the following steps:
- Be upfront when providing the facts of your DUI case
- Produce all documents related to your DUI case
- Talk to potential attorneys about their level of experience
- The legal expert should ideally have a clear strategy on how he or she will handle your case
It is evident from above that there are a number of factors to consider prior to hiring a DUI attorney. Note that being charged with the offense of DUI is a grave matter that could potentially impact your life. Therefore, it is imperative that you hire a competent legal representation. If you or your loved one is facing a case of being charged with DUI in Atlanta, a highly experienced attorney will be more than happy to help.