The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is a federal agency that regulates the safety of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs). One of the requirements for CMV operators is to update their MCS-150 form every two years.
This form provides the FMCSA with information about the company, such as its legal name, address, contact information, the number of vehicles it operates, and the types of freight it carries. In this article, we will discuss when to update your biennial MCS 150, what happens if you don’t, and how to update it.
When to Update Your Biennial MCS-150
The FMCSA requires motor carriers to update their MCS-150 form every two years, regardless of whether or not there have been any changes to the company’s information. The deadline to submit the updated form is based on the last two digits of the motor carrier’s USDOT number.
The second to last digit of your USDOT number tells you the year in which you need to update the biennial MCS 150 form. If the number is odd, the biennial update is due in the odd-numbered year.
If the number is even, the biennial update is due in the even-numbered year. For example, if a motor carrier’s USDOT number is 123456, the biennial update would be due in 2023 (an odd-numbered year).
Additionally, the month in which you must file your MCS-150 is determined by the last digit of your USDOT number. So, from our 123456 example, the month would be June(6th month).
What Happens If I Don’t Update My Biennial MCS-150?
If you fail to update your biennial MCS-150, your USDOT number will be deactivated, and you will not be authorized to operate CMVs. You may also be subject to civil penalties of up to $1,000 per day, not to exceed $10,000.
To avoid these consequences, it is important to submit your biennial update on time.
How to Update Your Biennial MCS-150
There are two ways to update your biennial MCS-150:
- Online: You can update your biennial MCS-150 online through the FMCSA Registration Website. To do this, you will need your USDOT number, assigned PIN, EIN/SSN, and Company Official information. You can request a PIN to be mailed to you.
- Mail: You can also update your biennial MCS-150 by mail. To do this, you will need to complete and submit the required MCS-150 form. However, it is recommended to submit the form via the FMCSA website or by fax to avoid delays in processing.
Here are the steps on how to update your biennial MCS-150 by mail:
- Download the MCS-150 form from the FMCSA website.
- Complete the form and sign it.
- Mail the form to the following address:
U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Attention: Office of Registration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
Washington, DC 20590
By following the steps outlined in this article, motor carriers can ensure that they are in compliance with FMCSA regulations and avoid the consequences of not updating their MCS-150 form.